Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Ketubah

OK, so I didn't have anything to do with the Ketubah, but it turned out so amazingly that I wanted to give it credit. The Ketubah is the Jewish marriage contract. They are traditionally written in Aramaic, which is one of those dead languages, and nobody really know what they say (but it is easier for the wife to get the husband to do the dishes by saying it says they have to in the Ketubah when nobody can read it to disagree). Anyway, my brother and his fiancee asked a close family friend of our's, who is a painter, to design and paint the Ketubah for them. Becca was delighted, though somewhat less so when they asked her to put on things like Kermit the Frog. She (luckily) ignored them, thinking their opinion of what is appropriate and desired on Ketubah might change over a few years of marriage. Below are the result of what she came up with, which I guess are designs copied from texts and images from the 13th and 14th centuries. I thought it was pretty cool, so I decided to post it up here with all my crafty stuff.


Becca, the artist (her name is really Rebecca Gray and I have a link to her website around here somewhere, I'll get it up when I can find it)


Unframed

Framed

The bride signing the Ketubah.




1 comment:

  1. The profundity of Kermit the Frog is vastly underestimated. Few are aware of his recent remake - "It's Not Easy Being Being."

    ReplyDelete