Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Irish Soda Bread Muffins

Having never made Irish Soda Bread before, I thought it would be a good thing to do during the five hours the corned beef was cooking. I have only had Irish Soda Bread a few times, so I wasn't really sure how it was made. I went on to Tastespotting (of course) and found a recipe for Irish Soda Bread Muffins and as that things always come out cuter as muffins, I thought I'd try that. Now, I'm not Irish (I'm not even close to Irish), but I have to say, these muffins came out quite well and the very Irish women in the office seemed to enjoy them, so I must have done something right.

Note: I seem to have used this recipe more as a general guideline than strict instructions . I only used one kind of flour, used yogurt instead of buttermilk (which I think made them more moist), left out the egg (I didn't have any and figured what's the worst that could happen), only used raisins and cranberries and used caraway seeds instead of ground caraway. I also put regular sugar on top instead of the fancy kind and yielded 17 muffins instead of 12 (the extra five of which I ate in one sitting). Leaving out the egg might have made them a little heavier, but I think the denseness helped the moisture, these are way more moist than regular soda bread.

I love Caraway.



No comments:

Post a Comment