Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Apple Bread

Well, it's been a while. I've been on cake-hiatus. I might be done with cakes all together, but my nephew's birthday is next month, so it's doubtful. Of course, he wants to be a cockatoo for Halloween and if that at all reflects what kind of cake he's going to want for his birthday, he's on his own.

Moving on. I went apple picking today and then came home and went on a mission to create a yeast apple bread. Last year I thought I was making a yeast apple bread, but it turned out it was an apple bread like a pumpkin bread or zucchini bread. You might have thought the lack of yeast and/or rising time in the recipe would have tipped me off.

For this recipe, I followed my father's bread-maker Challah recipe, but before the second rise, I rolled out the dough and spread out a mixture of chopped apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. The result is like a piece of heaven melting slowly in your mouth while simultaneously making the whole house smell of freshly cooked bread. It was truly something to behold.

I'm not sure the pictures really do it justice, but alright...

Then, to add to the amazingness, we slathered it in the cinnamon and sugar rubbed butter I got at the Cabot creamery last month. No words describe this.

No comments:

Post a Comment