Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies

My friend Jen's birthday is Sept. 6th, which pretty much always falls in the busiest time of year for any school teacher.  Because of this, she got shafted out of a peanut butter chocolate cake of her own this year.  To make amends, I made a peanut butter whoopie pies for her housewarming last night.

I know it seems ironic, but I'm actually not much of a cake person when it comes to eating cake.  Whoopie pies do absolutely nothing for me from the ingesting point of view, but they were surprisingly easy and fun to make.

I followed the Martha Stewart recipe for mini pumpkin whoopie pies to get the cookie/cake part.  Then I used my regular peanut butter buttercream recipe for filling.  Some of them were then rolled in crushed Reese's Pieces.  Those thing, by the way, are as good as I remember them.
Cakes baked and matched.  Ready to be filled.
Set up for filling and rolling.
The final product.
Since this was a housewarming gift, I wanted to give something lasting as well.  I bought a ceramic pie dish and put the whoopie pies in them.  Then I spruced it up with cellophane wrapping and a big silver bow.
This one was just for fun.  Peanut butter buttercream and fluff for the ultimate fluffernutter.


2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I finally made your blog AND got yummy peanut butter and chocolate goodness! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. I hope the rest of the party was super and that I don't have to make peanut butter buttercream again for a very long time. :-)

    ReplyDelete