Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Coconut Chicken Skewers

It's been a little bit since I last posted, and it's not that I haven't been cooking, it's just that I having been documenting as well as I should have.   For example, I made chocolate mint brownies and peanut butter M&M cookies for New Year's Eve, but I didn't take any pictures of them.  And I made Vanilla Cupcakes with Chai Frosting for a coworker's birthday, but I didn't take any pictures of those either.  I also recently made Pumpkin Gnocchi from scratch, with Arugula Pistachio Pesto, and didn't take any pictures of that.  There's some of that left in the freezer though, so there's still a potential for pictures there.

Something I did take pictures of recently though, were the Coconut Chicken Skewers.  I had these at a restaurant a few weekends ago while watching the Pats beat the Dolphins.  They were called Tropical Skewers and described as, "chicken tenders coated with shredded coconut and panko breadcrumbs, fried to a golden brown and served with a pineapple curry sauce and fruit salsa."  They were incredible.  Being that they were incredible, I, of course, had to attempt to recreate them on my own.  And of course, since I was making them at home, I had to make the healthy version.  Because I have issues.  We've discussed this.

I  breaded the chicken tenders in panko and coconut and baked them in the oven for a while.  I also made a salsa from red pepper, pineapple, jalapeno, mandarin oranges and coconut, as well as a hot sauce from rooster sauce and something else, maybe orange juice (my birthday's in a few weeks, obviously the mind's going).

It all was very tasty, and the colors were pretty for this time of year.  But they weren't anywhere nearly as good as the ones at the restaurant.  I am not really all that surprised; it's hard to recreated dried goodness with oven baked-ness, but it was worth a shot.  I would definitely make them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment