Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Chocolate-Strawberry-Chocolate Cake

My friend Megan's birthday was on Monday, Feb. 9th so I made a cake for her. Luckily, Megan is an equal-opportunist when it comes to cake flavors, so she gave me free reign. I found a recipe for Strawberry Jam Frosting that I thought sounded interested. And then, since it was a special birthday, I decided to actually make the cake from scratch. I followed the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa Powder container and I have to say, it turned out pretty spiffily. I used the strawberry jam frosting as filling and details and iced the whole cake in chocolate frosting (also from the container packaging). All the chocolate overpowered the strawberry flavor, which is very mild, so I might use it on a yellow cake in the future.
The cakes turned out perfectly :-)

Strawberry Jam frosting (kind of weird looking so close up)
fChocolate frosting
The final product. The final product had some spacing issues and made me glad I'm not a professional cake-decorator. Pretty sure it would have ended up on cakewrecks for that enourmous empty forehead...

No comments:

Post a Comment