Friday, November 6, 2009

The Penguin Cupcakes

...or, why I am pretty sure I hate Hello, Cupcake!

Hello, Cupcake! is a cupcake recipe book. It's one of those books that has the subtitle "Anyone can do it!!!" and then you turn to the back of the book and find out it was written by two experienced, gourmet chefs. In all honestly, anyone could make these cupcakes, I'm just not sure why anyone would want to. It's one of those books that creates things out of things that are already made, like canned frosting, candy shaped like fruit, jelly beans, etc. The cupcakes look cool, but when it comes down to it, I can't imagine wanting to eat any of the creations.

The penguin cupcakes were for my nephew's 8th birthday party. He is having a sleepover, and I think 8 year old boys are the only people in the world these "cupcakes" are decent to be ingested by.

You start by using frosting (I made my own) to glue a mini donut cut in half to the top of the cupcake. I know, I should really just stop here... Then, you use more frosting to glue a donut hole to the middle of the donut, creating a bowling pin-looking thing. To begin with, I couldn't find plain mini-donuts, so I got chocolate frosted. I also couldn't find donut holes that weren't powdered, so I got those frererochepan chocolate things that they advertise on TV all the time.

After you have glued this concoction together, you cover them in frosting and put the whole thing in the freezer for a while. In the meantime, microwave some canned chocolate frosting (I used canned for this part). I was supposed to dye the frosting black, but my black food color had congealed, so we had brown penguins.

Once the penguins were frozen, I was supposed to dip them upside down into the melted frosting. To be honest, this worked surprisingly well. The problem was that my dipped cupcakes did not look like smooth beautiful, tall, penguins. They looked like slightly overweight chickens. I know, I know, I used the wrong ingredients, but come on, anybody can do it...

Anyway, then I was supposed to use half a yellow Starburst for the beak, the end of a marshmallow for the belly and chocolate cookies cut in half for the wings. I think the chocolate cookies are the only part I have any interest in eating of that whole concoction.



Step one

All glued up and ready to be frozen

My dipped blobs, I mean penguin bodies...


Some are penguins, some are not

Ok, so in the end they turned out kind of cute. If you like slightly overweight chickens made of choloesterol with marshmallow stomachs.

These are my favorites. The one on the right looks skeptical, like he knows he's not really a penguin.

No comments:

Post a Comment