Monday, May 10, 2010

The Stromboli

Continuing on my obsession with Whole Foods pizza dough, here's another picture-less post.  I biked to Whole Foods the other day and bought more pizza dough. 

Discerning a few myths about me biking to Whole Foods:
1. The closest WF to me is approximately .6 miles from my house.
2. The whole trip there is at a slight incline.  I will not lie, there was some huffing and puffing.
3. The whole trip back took approximately 45 seconds at a slight decline. 
4. I feel very green riding my bike back with my reusable canvas bag filled with organic groceries in my bike basket.  This could be the start of a whole new me.

This is what my bike looks like:
It is a Bianchi Milano 8-speed.  It is a boy's bike and it is silver.  I got it used from the Corner Cycle rental shop in Falmouth, Mass.  (They're really nice there, I highly recommend visiting if you want to rent a bike on Cape Cod.)

My bike is a bit worn, has some stickers, a blue bell (it came with it from the rental place) and a nice cushy seat.  It also has a metal basket that attaches to the front and completely throws off the balance.  I love it too. 

Now, back to the Strombol.

So, this time, I used the dough to make a stromboli.  Stomboli is a new discovery for me.  I, embarassingly, learned about it from watching that short-lived ABC show "October Road" that was on a few years ago.  The show was appropriately canceled.  Strombolis are delicious.

Basically, a stromboli is a rolled up pizza.  Rather than making a pizza and folding it in half like a calzone, you make it and roll it up.  Some people call it pepperoni bread.  I've never had it with pepperoni, what with the no pork thing.

I made my stromboli with the tomato-artichoke sauce from the Eggs in Purgatory recipe from Bon Appetite that I made a few weeks ago.  I stopped before adding the potatoes and let the sauce cool.  Then I sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms.  I rolled out half the ball of dough into a rectangle-ish shape and covered two thirds of it with the sauce leaving an inch around on three sides and three inches on one of the long sides.  Then I put on the sauteed veggies and then mozzarella cheese and the shredded remains of everything else in my fridge (which I think was some Robusto and some Piave).  I rolled it up, put it on a sprayed cookie sheet, covered it and let it rest for 20-25 minutes (this is when Emeril's recipe took over).  Then I baked it at 400 for about another 20-25 minutes.  Then I had to let it cool.  That was difficult.  It was super good. 

I ate it so there are no pictures.  It will definitely be recreated.  Maybe even this week....

No comments:

Post a Comment