Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Apple Cake

I've been on this baking-on-the-grill kick this summer and I realized that I never posted about the apple cake, which was the first thing I ever baked on the grill.  I think this one is the tastiest, followed closely by the vanilla cake used in Maggie's birthday cake

The apple cake recipe cake from the Weber's Real Grilling book as well.  I don't follow the directions 100% because they want you to cut in the butter and I want to do the whole thing in the mix master. 

I've made this twice with apples and once with plums and each time it's bee successful.  The one time I use the food processor instead of the mixer the batter was a little too thin and the consistency wasn't the same, but the flavor was good. 

Here are the recipe, links and pics:  
Apple Cake with Cinnamon Sugar 

Prep Time30 minutes 

Grilling Time35 to 40 minutes

Batter

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, plus more for greasing the pie pan
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup whole milk (I used 2%)
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Topping
1 large Granny Smith apple (I used a mac, it was what I had)
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)

1. Prepare the grill for indirect cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F).

2. Generously grease a 10-inch metal pie pan with butter. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar, salt, cinnamon, and cloves and mix well. Cut the 5 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and add to the bowl, mixing with your fingertips until you have a coarse meal. Whisk the milk, eggs, and vanilla and add to the bowl. Mix well. The batter should be well combined but still have some lumps. Pour the batter evenly into the pie pan.

3. Core and then slice the apple lengthwise into 1/8-inch thick slices. Arrange the slices on top of the batter around the outer edge of the pie pan, like petals of a flower, overlapping them slightly. In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the apples and batter.

4. Grill over indirect medium heat, with the lid closed, for 20 minutes. Rotate the pan 90 degrees. Continue grilling, with the lid closed, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes more. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve at room temperature with whipped cream, if desired.

Makes 6 to 8 servings


Again, I combined everything in the mix master, and it came out fine.  Indirect Medium Head, by the way, is when the front and the back burners are on medium and the middle burner is off.  You put the pan right in the middle of the grill.  By turning it half way through, it cooks evenly.

  I am loving this prepping all the ingredients before you start cooking thing.  Not only does it save time and clean-up, but it forces me to read the recipe in advance, which is something I typically forget to do.


I think this is sideways, but it's the cake ready to go into the oven.
Yummy

1 comment:

  1. Yummy. As you note, pre-measuring ingredients is a help, since it makes you read the whole thing first. Not 100% for me either, but it's worth repeating!

    ReplyDelete