Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Quotations Quiz

This has nothing to do with food, but as that I write this blog like I have more than three readers, I figure I'd post a little game.  I just put this up on one of the bulletin boards in the library.

By the way, this is really bringing me back to sophomore year in high school when my English teacher adamantly insisted that we never use the word quote for quotation.  Honestly, I'm not really sure why.  I also learned the word verbatim in that class; I try to work that one into conversation as often as possible.

OK, match the quotation to the person who said it.

"If there's one pitch you keep swinging at and keep missing, stop swinging at it."
"It's not denial. I'm just selective about the reality I accept."
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
"I haven't failed. I've found 10,000 ways that won't work."
"I can accept failure. Everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
"It's not whether you get knocked down. It's whether you get up again."
"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: 'What! You, too? Thought I was the only one.'"
"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down."
"Often you just have to rely on your intuition."
"Never purchase beauty products in a hardware store."
"I do think in Washington, it's a little bit like American Idol. But everybody is Simon Cowell."
"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all."
"Twelve was a real turning point for me as I moved to a mixed school, and then I became cool and discovered hair gel."
"You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time. The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it."
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends."
"I'm the only person I know that's lost a quarter of a billion dollars in one year.... It's very character-building."

Albus Dumbledore
Benjamin Franklin
Bill Gates
Calvin & Hobbs
CS Lewis
Jackie Kennedy
James Dean
Martin Luther King Jr.
Michael Jordan
Miss Piggy
Neil Gaiman
Oprah Winfrey
President Obama
Robert Pattinson
Steve Jobs
Vince Lombardi
Yogi Berra

1 comment:

  1. I suspect Yogi Berra made the pitch-swinging analogy, but it's better to think he said "Never purchase beauty products in a hardware store."

    ReplyDelete